Sunday, February 8, 2009

Random Pittsburgh Pirates Card of the Day


Welcome to a new series here at Beer and Baseball Cards. Every once in a while I'll be posting a picture of a random Pittsburgh Pirates card from my collection under the heading of Random Pittsburgh Pirates Card of the Day - creative, I know. It won't be every day. Sometimes I'll just put a picture of a card on the blog, as if to say "Here you go, enjoy this random Pirates card." Other times I might include some witty commentary as a bonus to you, the reader. You're welcome.

Let's get started.

This first Random Pittsburgh Pirates Card of the Day is a 1972 Topps Luke Walker. Luke was a pitcher for the Bucs in the late '60s and into the '70s. His best season, according the back of this card, was in 1970. That year he went 15-6 with a 3.04 ERA and 124 strikeouts. Not too shabby. Those kind of numbers would definitely get him a spot in the current Pirates rotation. It's possible that he had a better season than that after 1972, but I don't feel like looking up the stats right now, so that's all you're gonna get. I like the font used on the Topps set this year - it looks like it's coming right at you! I do not generally like photos from spring training to be used on baseball cards, and this one is no exception.

So there you have it - the very first Random Pittsburgh Pirates Card of the Day. There will be more to come. Maybe I'll expand it beyond the Buccos at some point, we'll see. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny. And I love that you've gained an appreciation for typeface. I guess that's what happens after being married for 2+ years. Neat.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search